[syslinux] PXELINUX and http?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 02:21:49 PST 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Virtual Xmas <luvs.christmas at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to the Changelog for 5.01, pxelinux.0 can load boot files via
> http.  But I can't get it to work.

5.10 introduced lpxelinux.0, a variant that uses UNDI+lwIP instead of PXE calls.

> I also tried copying lpxelinux.0 over pxelinux.0, and all I get is the boot:
> prompt.  ie, my menu doesn't work.  Is lpxelunix.0 not supposed to be a drop
> in replacement for pxelinux.0?

lpxelinux.0 is supposed to be a drop-in replacement just like gpxelinux.0

> I am using syslinux 6.03pre-6, but get the same errors with 6.02.

Thanks for testing the latest pre-release.  If there's a bug here,
this is the best to test with.

For starters, you should see more.  If you haven't used any 5.xx+
version before, please ensure you have lib*.c32 copied to the same
location as [l]pxelinux.0 ldlinux.c32 and (vesa)menu.c32.  This will
likely resolve your issue.

If this does not, we should start with your config, a listing of files
and perhaps perform a packet capture.

By the way, I've been able to get lpxelinux.0 running such that
lpxelinux.0 is the only file loaded by TFTP and the remaining are all
HTTP.

--
-Gene