[syslinux] Cannot chain to another PXE server on the same subnet

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 23:33:24 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu>

> The "bstrap.0" file is a small NBP that
> handles the menu when booting from old PXE clients that don't implement
> the menu-related parts of the protocol.  But even with bstrap.0, the
> menu stuff doesn't work if the menu-related options weren't in whichever
> DHCP response gets used for PXE.
>
> Unfortunately, what this means is that selecting things from the Altiris
> menu isn't going to work unless the client is getting PXE bits from that
> server and _not_ from the main DHCP server.  Getting that to happen may
> be rather difficult, as it more or less requires triggering another DHCP
> exchange, and doing so in such a way that the main server doesn't
> provide any options (for example, by sending something in the request
> that the main DHCP server config conditions the PXE response bits on).

So I take it it's more of a DHCP hack in which:
1- client boots and gets DHCP response from 10.215.144.7 with PXE syslinux info
2- client loads pxelinux.0 menu and selects menu that chains to Altiris PXE menu except, instead of calling pxechain.com or pxechn.c32 with the Altiris server's IP address, the client should "re-netboot" but this time, the DHCP server at 10.215.144.7 should not include any PXE information at all for this particular client/MAC, so Altiris can kick in.

I don't know how to do this but is this basically what you're suggesting?

Thanks,

Vieri