[syslinux] Cannot chain to another PXE server on the same subnet

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 05:35:10 PST 2014

There's still something I don't quite grasp.

I modified my dhcp.conf file at 10.215.144.7 just for kicks:

  class "pxeclient" {
    match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
    vendor-option-space PXE;
    option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0;
    next-server 10.215.144.60;
    filename "Bstrap/X86PC/BStrap.0";
  }

I also set the Altiris server just like in the screenshot below:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/16553i5049E63425185BC0/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Since it's set to "no dhcp server installed on PXE server" then I'm guessing Altiris will not try to override anything and that it will know that DHCP is done by another host at a different IP address.

Anyway, I was expecting to PXE boot the Altiris menu correctly but it didn't. It still gave me the same error as in my first post. As if my dhcp config were lacking necessary data for Altiris...

The only way I can correctly boot from Altiris is by removing the class "pxeclient" at 10.215.144.7 __no matter__ which "DHCP discovery" option I set on the Altiris server (see options in above screenshot).

That's something that leaves me puzzled.

Vieri