[syslinux] Changing the Reply-To: option for the list

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Mar 15 09:56:15 PDT 2014

Op 2014-03-14 om 16:02 schreef Gene Cumm:
> On Mar 14, 2014 3:41 PM, "Ady" <ady-sf op hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > A few years ago, at popular request, I changed the default of the list
> > > to have a Reply-To: pointing at the list.  I personally find it very
> > > annoying, and I would like to change the default back.
> > >
> > > Would people object to trying it?
> > >
> > >       -hpa
> >
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > My assumption is that having a specific and adequate "reply-to" field
> > reduces the chances of accidentally replying to the original senders
> > (as oppose to sending the reply to the distribution list).
> >
> > For "frequent repliers" of this mailing list, the possibility of
> > replying to an original sender (instead of replying to the list)
> > might happen by mistake.
> >
> > Newcomers (or people more used to popular and newer "social media"
> > than to "good old plain mailing lists"), by not having an adequate
> > "reply-to" field could, inadvertently, send replies to personal
> > addresses of other members of the list, instead of replying to the
> > list itself.
> >
> > I am not sure how the reply-to field is annoying, but I guess it
> > depends on the particular email client and on how each one manages
> > it.
> >
> > To be clear, I don't object to trying this change. I just fear of the
> > aforementioned potential consequences.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ady.
>
> I too am curious at how this is annoying.  I find it generally useful but
> even with reply-to and the message on the bottom I find users/mailers still
> emailing me directly rather than the list.

FWIW: I'm voting _for_ this change. So do _not change_ the Reply-To: header.

See http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for motivation.
That webpage is over a decade old, so it lacks that good e-mail programms
have _three_ reply-buttons: "Reply", "Reply to all" and "Reply to List".

Most likely we will encounter posters who aren't aware of a "Reply to List"
button, but hey, we can tell them about it.

And while making the change, please remove the footer line
  'Please do not send private replies to mailing list traffic.'
Allow people to learn how to use an e-mail program.
(Allow them to learn from the mistake of pressing the "Reply-to-All"
or the "Reply-to-List" button. ( Don't give them the excuse "My message
was intended as private messsage,
but the Reply-To-munging made it public! ))

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven