[syslinux] 6.03-pre6 minor building suggestions

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 15 13:36:21 PDT 2014

> On Mar 4, 2014 7:42 PM, "Ady" <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > In Syslinux 6.03-pre6:
> > >
> > > _ The txt/html/*.html files are currently created 3 times, one for
> > > each firmware. I think they should be created only once (under the
> > > main txt/html/ directory), just as the rest of the documentation is.
> > > In that case, the <respective_firmware>/txt/html/ subdirectories
> > > should not even be created.
>
> Proper dep rules are the key.  Building under only bios/ is a quick fix.

The rest of the documentation is present only once (in the main tree
only). I fear such "quick fix" would lead to "permanent state". There
are other files that are adequately built according to relevant
firmware, but this is not the same case, and I am guessing this is
what you mean by "proper dep rules". I wish I knew how to correct
this myself and send a patch. Hopefully someone with relevant
knowledge will be so kind to do it.

> > > _ The bios/dosutil/ directory contains copybs.com and eltorito.sys,
> > > while the efi32/ and efi64/ don't, which is expected. OTOH,
> > > mdiskchk.com is being created under the main dosutil/ directory. I
> > > think that 'mdiskchk.com' should be created under the bios/dosutil/
> > > subdirectory, just as copybs.com and eltorito.sys are. I am unsure
> > > whether 'dosutil/README' and 'dosutil/eltorito.txt' should be also
> > > copied to 'bios/dosutil/' when building.
>
> It's a binary object in the source tree. The closest alternative is to try
> copying to the bios/ path.

Isn't this binary file built from 'mdiskchk.c' located in the same
directory? Evidently I lack the knowledge to understand why this is
so different from other binary files.

> > I am adding one more:
> >
> > _ If I am not mistaken, bios/memdump/memdump.com is a comboot16
> > module(?). If this module is still relevant in 6.xx (which I don't
> > really know), I wonder whether perhaps there should be a better
> > location to the /memdump/ (sources of memdump.com) directory.
>
> Likely needs to be pruned considering ver.com and hexdump.c32 as you
> mentioned.
>
> --Gene

Examples of comboot16 files that were previously included are ver.com
and poweroff.com (among others).

In #syslinux, I (misremembered and incorrectly) mentioned some
"memdump.c32" (which doesn't exist), confusing it with other
"*.dump.c32" files (there are several of them). Whether there is a
new c32 replacement for the old memdump.com is less relevant at this
point. If memdump.com is indeed an old comboot16 file (is it?), it is
then not supported in Syslinux 5.xx+ and it should probably receive
the same treatment as the old ver.asm and poweroff.asm.

Is the memdump.com binary file included in Syslinux 6.xx actually
usable under any circumstances? Under DOS?

TIA,
Ady.