[syslinux] installing extlinux on a fresh system. Why does it fail ?

Mau Z zmau1962 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 06:13:50 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I am trying to install extlinux on a fresh system.

Here are my steps :
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A) Create an ext2 partition. I did the following steps :

1) boot from CD
2) Activate GParted
3) Create Partition table on the "fresh disk" (/dev/sda).
4) Create 1 ext2 partition (and mark its flag as "boot").

B)mkdir /mnt/Ext2_partition
C) mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/Ext2_partition
D) mkdir /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux
E) extlinux --directory /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux --install /dev/sda1
Step E fails (as if the command line is incorrect).  I get the same output
as if I typed "extlinux" without arguments.

What's wrong ?

I also tried
 E) extlinux --install /dev/sda1 -->  fail  ""
 E) extlinux --install /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux
      The output was the following two lines :
          /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux is device /dev/sda1
          extlinux : cannot open device /dev/sda1

What's wrong ?

Thanks