[syslinux] installing extlinux on a fresh system. Why does it fail ?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 07:26:59 PDT 2014

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install extlinux on a fresh system.
>
> Here are my steps :
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> A) Create an ext2 partition. I did the following steps :
>
> 1) boot from CD
> 2) Activate GParted
> 3) Create Partition table on the "fresh disk" (/dev/sda).
> 4) Create 1 ext2 partition (and mark its flag as "boot").

Have you actually formatted the created partition as ext2?

I mean, maybe you just have marked the partition as "ext2" in the
partition ID field, without actually formatting the partition.

Before creating a directory (or a file), the partition should be
formatted.

> B)mkdir /mnt/Ext2_partition
> C) mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/Ext2_partition
> D) mkdir /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux
> E) extlinux --directory /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux --install /dev/sda1
> Step E fails (as if the command line is incorrect).  I get the same output
> as if I typed "extlinux" without arguments.
>
> What's wrong ?

The EXTLINUX installer (since version 4.xx) operates on mounted
filesystems. The "--directory" option is for the SYSLINUX installer,
which operates on devices.

> I also tried
>  E) extlinux --install /dev/sda1 -->  fail  ""
>  E) extlinux --install /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux
>       The output was the following two lines :
>           /mnt/Ext2_partition/extlinux is device /dev/sda1
>           extlinux : cannot open device /dev/sda1
>

> What's wrong ?

Your last extlinux command "should" work an a mounted fs, if the
partition was actually formatted with a supported fs and the
directory was already created.

Regards,
Ady.