[syslinux] SYSLINUX: Neither prompt nor menu?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 20:14:14 PDT 2014

> On 31-03-14 02:48, Ady wrote:
>
> > First, in the 5+ versions of Syslinux, the shift/alt keys are indeed
> > not working as expected. This is a bug (among several issues related
> > to keyboard functionality).
>
> Thanks for the reply. I assumed the keys not working would be specific
> to my straight-booting wish, but playing around with the suggestions
> that you provided, I see it's indeed more general.
>
> Given that you confirmed it to be a bug, I'll stick with LILO for now.
> This seems rather vital to have functioning correctly.
>
> Regards,
> Rene

FWIW and JFYI...

Certainly the shift/alt keys (when they actually work as expected)
are the easiest method to get what you want, i.e. automatically boot
the DEFAULT entry unless either shift or alt is pressed.

You could also achieve a similar goal by using 'UI menu.c32',
together with the rest of the directives I mentioned before.

For instance (please correct paths accordingly):

UI vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0
# Wait 5 sec. and then boot, unless some key is pressed.
TIMEOUT 50
# MENU CLEAR
# auto boot unless some key is pressed
MENU HIDDEN
DEFAULT <label_to_be_used_when_press_enter>
ONTIMEOUT <label_to_be_used_when_nothing_touched>
MENU DEFAULT <label_to_be_initially_selected_in_menu>
#
# Optionally avoid the timeout message
# MENU AUTOBOOT
#
# Optionally add several MENU HIDDENKEY
# MENU HIDDENKEY enter <label_to_be_used_when_press_enter>
#
# Optionally set MENU COLOR directives
#
# Also try the 'vga=current quiet' in the 'append' directives.

Of course LILO is perfectly fine too.

Let's hope the shift/alt keys bug in Syslinux 5+ is solved in the
near future.

Regards,
Ady.