[syslinux] Issues with syslinux_run_command(str) and parameters

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 13:20:52 PDT 2014

> I didn't see any further communication here; would anyone be
> against my submitting/proposing a patch for this?

Contributions are always welcome.

> I can see two possible approaches. One approach would be to
> isolate the restriction on user commands away from
> syslinux_run_command / load_kernel.
>
> Another would perhaps be to add support for a 'NOTAB' or
> 'NOTABTOEDIT' option. There already exists a NOESCAPE setting, so
> the remaining piece would be restricting tab. (And perhaps holding
> shift to get to the console.. Hmm.)
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions :)
>
> Thank you,--Ian
>

>From the perspective of a final user, breaking the prior behavior of
directives needs to have very clear advantages.

The NOESCAPE (related to [esc]) and ALLOWOPTIONS (related to [tab])
directives have clear (and independent from each other) behaviors.
Instead of changing their behaviors, the alternatives would be:
_ to find available workarounds (which was already proposed); or,
_ to add new directives.

IIRC, there are no "Global Directives" that apply to specific types
of kernels or images but not to others (e.g. to modules but not to
Linux), specially when they have no additional parameter. Introducing
such type of additional classification could perhaps lead to more
troubles than it's worth.

Considering that there is already a workaround available, I wonder if
the inconvenience of having to add "too many" LABEL entries could be
defeated by reorganizing your Syslinux configuration files.

For instance, using an initial cfg file with the "automatic" entries
(those that don't require user interaction, such as whichsys.c32,
ifcpu.c32...) and only then actually showing a [vesa]menu with the UI
directive (in a second, in-common, cfg file). The individual
configuration files can be then connected using directives such as
INCLUDE and CONFIG (typical examples with multiple configuration
files are available in ArchLinux and Debian, among others).

Regards,
Ady.