[syslinux] Building extlinux (Syslinux 6.03-pre11)

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 12:59:49 PDT 2014

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder why the already built-in binaries are not enough / adequate.
> > Or, in other words, I am curious about why do you need to build your
> > own binary files, instead of using the files that are already there
> > in the official archives in kernel.org.
>
> I don't believe it can be used as is:
> bash# file syslinux
> syslinux: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
>  linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32,
> BuildID[sha1]=0xe82a9430ce7456cfea7bcc877fa694740296c2a8, stripped
>
> bash# ./syslinux
> bash: ./syslinux: No such file or directory
>
> I have a minimal 64-bit system, where 32-bit libraries are not present.
>
> Second, I'd rather use git instead of kernel.org due to the following statement
> published earlier in one of the threads:
> > H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> 5:30 AM (15 hours ago)
> > to , syslinux
> >
> > Please work on the current git, rather than 6.02... 6.02 has a number of
> > known problems.
>
> If you could explain a solution for both, I would gladly use binary provided.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey

I don't see how that explains why you can't use the pre-compiled
binaries. From your own emails, you don't seem to be looking to
(re)build a Syslinux package, but rather trying to use the extlinux
installer (to install EXTLINUX on a specific device).

Currently, official git master *is* 6.03-pre11. If you were to expand
an official 6.03-pre11 archive (anew, from kernel.org), then go to
"bios/extlinux/" inside the expanded directory tree and then execute
in there "./extlinux" with the necessary extlinux options
(arguments), I would tend to believe you would get the desired result
(extlinux installed on a mounted fs).

Regards,
Ady.