[syslinux] Booting new kernels

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat May 17 09:14:01 PDT 2014

On May 16, 2014 5:30 PM, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 05/16/2014 01:35 PM, Tal Lubko wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm using buildroot to build embedded Linux.
> > I'm using syslinux 4.05 and kernel 3.6.8 and it works for me fine.
> >
> > However I need to use newer kernel and it doesn't work for me.
> > For some reason when I use kernel 3.7.1 and above the system crashes
during boot and I have no reason why.
> > I'm not sure if it is syslinux issue or other.
> > I've attached the output.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Tal
> >

> This is not a Syslinux issue.
>
>         -hpa

Here's the key message:

[    0.989220] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing
init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

Consider a lack of init or otherwise improper initrd (cpio format,
compression, etc). Consider trying your old kernel with new initrd and/or
new kernel with old initrd to start diagnosis.

--Gene