[syslinux] "EDD Load error" on btrfs, how to debug?

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:15:18 PDT 2014

Hi

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2014 11:20 AM, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a computer with BIOS and Linux Arch installed.
>>
>> Starting from a recent syslinux update (6.02->6.03pre9) I am not able
>> to use syslinux anymore. I try to boot my computer and the only thing
>> I see is "EDD Load error - Boot error" message. When I install 6.02
>> back the system is completely fine.
>>
>> Other people use syslinux 6.03 fine. They use ext4 and I use btrfs as
>> my root partition fs so it might be a problem for syslinux.
>>
>> I would like to debug and see this problem fixed. How to enable more
>> verbose output at boot stage? I would like to get more information
>> about why the EDD error happens. Any other debugging advises?
>
> Size problem again?  There are no actual btrfs-related changes in the
> 6.03 series...
>
> Are you using the precompiled binaries or did you build your own?

I use binary packages from Linux Arch.

Here is one from [stable] repository that works fine for me
webpage: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/syslinux/
binaries: http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/core/os/x86_64/syslinux-6.02-8-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

And this one fails
webpage: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/syslinux/
binaries: http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/testing/os/x86_64/syslinux-6.03pre11-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

The package build script is quite complicated. Here it is
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/syslinux
and its history:
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/log/trunk?h=packages/syslinux

My problem appeared as far as I remember during migration from 6.02-8
to 6.03pre9-1  Here is exact package change
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/syslinux&id=0cf9199eb62d8c3af9f4df8c782a482ffd037da9

Besides syslinux itself other things has changed e.g. gcc (but I
really hope my problem not because of compiler).

Unless there is better way to debug the problem I can start building
binaries by myself and bisecting changes.

BTW if you see any improvements for the package build instructions
we'll be glad to change it.