[syslinux] "EDD Load error" on btrfs, how to debug?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 10:57:19 PDT 2014

> The next question how to minimize the size of ldlinux.sys?

Following the links already posted in the bug report in ArchLinux,
you get to:
 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-October/020956.html
and to:
DYNAMIC_DEBUG DISABLED & DEBUG_PORT DISABLED --> ldlinux.sys < 64KB.

One of the topics of interest for ArchLinux users would be: how is it
that *some* users get a ldlinux.sys file smaller than 64KB (which is
not exactly the most accurate way to evaluate the 64KB threshold, but
let's skip the details) while using the Syslinux 6.02-8 package from
ArchLinux, but other ArchLinux users do not?

The other topic of interest for ArchLinux users would be: for those
users that are successfully using Syslinux 6.02-8 in Btrfs, what
exactly is changing (in the PKGBUILD or wherever else) that generates
a new ldlinux.sys file that is bigger than 64KB in version 6.03-pre*.

I would had expected for both versions to generate ldlinux.sys files
of similar size (either both smaller than 64KB, or both bigger than
64KB). Clearly this is not the case for some users.

As I mentioned before in a prior email, it should be noted that some
users are having other problems, not necessarily related to the size
issue. For example, quoting from the ArchLinux bug report:
 https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38549#comment118364
"Note: I attempted the same with syslinux 4.07-1 and it also fails
the same way."
which suggests that there might be some additional problem (which
*might* be resolved by "manually installing" an older version of
Syslinux, as opposed to "updating/downgrading" by means of some
script).

Regards,
Ady.