[syslinux] "EDD Load error" on btrfs, patch committed

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 06:00:57 PDT 2014

> >> Is that ready for testing?
> >
> > I  think it is
> >

> Yes it is.  Chris Mason got back to me.  However, I'm still having
> problems with my test scripts, so something is still wonky.
>
> 	-hpa

Using a snapshot from commit 93f89ce... I have successfully tested
installing EXTLINUX on Btrfs using a 32-bits VM. This does not
necessarily mean that it would work on each and every case, as my
test was very limited, as follows.

_ The ldlinux.sys file generated by my build is bigger than 64KB.
_ The (virtual) disk is using mbr.bin from Syslinux, and 512 bytes
per sector. I have not tested GPT, EFI nor any other setup.
_ The only partition is the Btrfs volume, marked as "primary" and
"active" in the MBR partition table. The Btrfs partition was just
created specifically for this test. Additional features, volumes,
partitions and/or combinations of several filesystems were not
tested.
_ Btrfs v.3.14.1 was used in this test.
_ The only characteristic that I tested was installing EXTLINUX.
After installing it, no additional file was copied, not even a
configuration file.
_ After installing EXTLINUX, the VM booted to the Syslinux boot:
prompt as expected (with the corresponding message that no
configuration file was found).
_ The test was performed twice, starting both times from the first
step; once installing EXTLINUX on "/" and the second time to
"/boot/syslinux/" (manually created before executing the extlinux
installation command). Both tests were successful in booting
Syslinux.
_ The only partition is a Btrfs small volume of 300MB, which means
that some particular features of Btrfs might be affected (e.g. mixed
metadata/data groups and more).
_ The entire procedure was executed with root privileges. This will
probably affect future operations on the Btrfs volume (even trying to
copy files to this volume), but this fact is out of the scope of my
test.

Hopefully the above details of this minimal successful test can help
identify other factors that might interfere with actually using
Syslinux on Btrfs in a
more realistic situation.

Regards,
Ady.