[syslinux] Syslinux DOS-based installer in FreeDOS

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri May 23 05:29:39 PDT 2014

Testing the DOS-based Syslinux installer, syslinux.com, with the "-m"
parameter, I found that it works as expected under MS-DOS and its DOS
variants, but it seems to fail under FreeDOS (please correct me if
I'm wrong).

Using FreeDOS kernel v.2041 (386f32), Syslinux v.6.03-pre11 and
either FAT16 or FAT32 partitions, executing:
 syslinux.com -m -i c:

or:
 syslinux.com -f -m -i c:

will not write to the MBR, and will ruin the VBR.

To be clear, the "-m" parameter overwrites parts of the VBR.

If, *instead*, I use the same versions with the command:

 syslinux.com -i c:

(without the "-m" parameter, optionally with "-f" if needed) then it
works correctly, installing SYSLINUX on the VBR.

Unfortunately, once the "-m" parameter is used, repairing the VBR
seems to be not so simple as executing the command again without the
"-m" parameter. Additional tests might be needed so to find out the
reason.

I have not tested what would happen if I avoid using "-i". I don't
know if it would make any difference.

Several combinations of different versions of FreeDOS with different
versions of Syslinux have not provided better results (in fact, in
some cases they were worse).

I admit it is also possible that I am making some mistake. I would
appreciate if someone could try to replicate this behavior.

I hope syslinux.com can be improved so to make it more compatible
with FreeDOS, not just with MS-DOS.

TIA,
Ady.