[syslinux] lss broken when upgraded 4.05 to 6.03

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 01:13:39 PDT 2014

Hi,
I have just joined the list.

I am the original creator of Puppy Linux, now letting other guys take
the reins, and I am working on a fork of Puppy called Quirky Linux,
where I try various experimental ideas.

Up until now, in Puppy and all offshoots, we have used syslinux 4.05 or older.

Over the last few days I have been testing 6.03 (using the binary DEBs
from Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn), and it works, except that the LSS
boot image does not display.

Everything is as we have been doing it for years. There is a
syslinux.cfg, a boot message in file boot.msg and a LSS image boot.16

It is extremely simple, works fine with 4.05, no image in 6.03.

I have hunted through the changelog and searched the mail-list, can't
find anything about changes in the way LSS is handled.

Could someone who is an expert with syslinux please take a look at this for me?

I have uploaded the relevant files from my latest build of Quirky (6.2KB):

distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/lss-broken.tar.gz

...as you will see, it couldn't get any simpler than that!

Regards,
Barry Kauler