[syslinux] Can almost boot on UEFI win8.1 laptop

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:33:06 PST 2014

I have done another install to the usb stick.

# syslinux --directory EFI/BOOT --install /dev/sdc1

...this creates files ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys in /EFI/BOOT

I then mounted the 1st partition of the usb stick and copied
syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64 from /usr/share/syslinux/efi64 to
/EFI/BOOT in the usb stick.

I renamed syslinux.efi to BOOTX64.EFI

I copied my files boot.msg, help.msg, logo.16, syslinux.cfg, vmlinuz
into /EFI/BOOT

So, there are no files in the root directory of the 1st partition.

Yes, it boots, I get the "Loadin vmlinuz... ok", then that's it. As
before, hangs, no output to screen.

I have no idea what to do next.

Regards
Barry