[syslinux] Can almost boot on UEFI win8.1 laptop

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:37:36 PST 2014

> I have done another install to the usb stick.
>
> # syslinux --directory EFI/BOOT --install /dev/sdc1
>
> ...this creates files ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys in /EFI/BOOT
>
> I then mounted the 1st partition of the usb stick and copied
> syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64 from /usr/share/syslinux/efi64 to
> /EFI/BOOT in the usb stick.
>
> I renamed syslinux.efi to BOOTX64.EFI
>
> I copied my files boot.msg, help.msg, logo.16, syslinux.cfg, vmlinuz
> into /EFI/BOOT
>
> So, there are no files in the root directory of the 1st partition.
>
> Yes, it boots, I get the "Loadin vmlinuz... ok", then that's it. As
> before, hangs, no output to screen.
>
> I have no idea what to do next.
>
> Regards
> Barry

You are not supposed to execute the syslinux installer command. That
command is for BIOS not UEFI!

As noted in the Library modules wiki page, the c32 files have the
same file name, but are different for each firmware/architecture.

For UEFI, you simply _copy_ the relevant syslinux.efi (efi64) file to
the adequate location: /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI in your USB first
partition (which should be FAT), and the ldlinux.e64 file. You also
copy additional c32 modules to the same location if they are needed,
and you create the /EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX.CFG. Add the
kernel+initrd+other file(s) according to your needs. Unmount. Reboot
to your USB drive in UEFI mode.

Regards,
Ady.