[syslinux] Can't UEFI boot PXELinux on WDS server

Aaron Hancock aaron.hancock at venafi.com
Fri Nov 7 10:07:42 PST 2014

>> DHCP seems to be working properly - returning the correct boot file
>> for the architecture of the PXE client, but when I try to boot
>> syslinux.efi, it gets the file then keeps requesting ldinux.e64 over
>> and over again.  The file is there and available.  A wireshark trace
>> shows it keeps requesting the file, followed by the server responding to
the blksize and tsize options, but then
>> the client just continues requesting the file.   After a few dozen failed
>> attempts it then tries to get the boot\x64\/boot/isolinux/ldlinex.e64
> file for a few dozen more tries.
>>

>I am not sure what you meant with "returning the correct boot file for the
architecture of the PXE client". A UEFI IA32 client (architecture-type =
00:06) should look for the syslinux.efi file from efi32 (which then looks
for ldlinux.e32), and similarly for UEFI
>x86_64 (syslinux.efi + ldlinux.e64). The file can be renamed (e.g. to
bootia32.efi, bootx64.efi) if the dhcp configuration is also changed
accordingly. What I mean is that the syslinux.efi file _is_ the "boot file",
so what "boot file for the architecture of the PXE client" you are referring
to?.

I have DHCP policies set up to return a different bootfile name depending on
the VCI advertised by the client.  E.g. When the client reports DHCP Option
60 as "PXEClient:Arch:00007:UNDI:003016" the DHCP server returns Option 67
as "\boot\x64\syslinux.efi"

>Regarding the path you mentioned, the "isolinux" part seems strange.
>There is no "isolinux" in UEFI. I have seen such misunderstanding before,
so you are not the only one. I am not saying that you cannot use such
pathprefix, but I would suggest avoiding such potential confusion.

Understood - It looks like the .efi image tries [path to syslinux.efi
containing folder]ldlinux.e64 .  If that fails, then it tries [path to
syslinux.efi containing folder]/ldlinux.e64.  If that fails then it tries
the isolinux file previously mentioned.  This is from a wireshark capture
and TFTP server log.

>FWIW, there is also a typo in your report (ldlinex.e64 should be
ldlinux.e64).

Sorry about that - eyes glazing over after hours of troubleshooting :)

>And the most important detail... Are you using Syslinux 6.03 final?
>Or is this a pre-prelease? Are you using the official upstream pre-built
binaries downloaded from kernel.org? Or are you using some distro package?
Or perhaps your own build?

Yes - downloaded from
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-6.03.zip

>Please try the official upstream pre-built binaries from version 6.03
final, and remember that any version mismatch (e.g. between syslinux.efi and
ldlinux.e64 and additional c32 files) shall be avoided.

>Regards,
>Ady.

Thanks for the response,
Aaron