[syslinux] syslinux -> Windows 2008R2

Gunnar A syslinux at arnarsson.net
Mon Nov 10 14:01:18 PST 2014

Hello,
I'm trying to use a current Syslinux setup, that is working well for
service linux based distros, to serve up recent Windows server installs.
As I'm new here I'm reluctant to make any changes to the environment unless
I've exhausted the current options.

We are running Syslinux 3.71 on a Gentoo server and all the DHCP and tftpd
are "working as they should".

What I've tried so far is to just load the .iso with install media using
memdisk.  The iso got downloaded and asked to press key to run CD/DVD but
then continued to boot from hdd.

*label Windows 2008 R2*
*    kernel win2008R2/memdisk*
*    append iso bigraw initrd=win2008R2/W2k8R2PXE.img*

Second idea is to use WinPE and then create a boot script to get the real
media but so far I can't get the WinPE to load.

*label WinPE*
*    com32 linux.c32 winpe/wimboot*
*    append wimboot*
*    initrdfile=winpe/bootmgr,winpe/bcd,winpe/boot.sdi,winpe/winpe.wim*

This does nothing, it's probably to be expected as I'm trying to sidestep
the fact that I'm supposed to updgrade to 5.01 acc. to this guide
<http://www.howtogeek.com/162070/it-geek-how-to-network-boot-pxe-the-winpe-recovery-disk-with-pxelinux-v5-wimboot/>
so
I'm taking the files and dumping them into the winpe dir and link them
there.

Other things I see running here is UBCD that I can boot into but fail to
see a good tutorial on how to run the install from it.  Grup4win is also
available from there but that's even further into an area that I'm not
familiar with.

I'm hoping someone can look at my situation and put me on the right path
here, perhaps link me a good tutorial that should have the steps I need to
take, examples, anything, I'm pretty much done with my ideas at this point
before I start breaking something.