[syslinux] Boot fails in a VMware player VM - syslinux 6.03

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Thu Nov 13 09:28:10 PST 2014

Hi,

On 11/11/2014 02:55, Ady wrote:
 > Again, dd'ing your isohybrid image onto your (virtual or real) drive
 > will fail to boot in EFI mode. Your "syslinux.efi-based"
 > "/isolinux/efiboot.img" will not be capable of booting. This is one
 > of the steps that corresponds to grub2, not to whichever other EFI
 > bootloader you use (e.g. syslinux.efi).

So, it's not possible (yet?) to provide an hybrid ISO image able to
boot in UEFI and BIOS modes using Syslinux.

It took me _some_ time to realize that, but at least that helped me
understand a bit more Syslinux' and co features, thanks Ady and Thomas.

But as my goal is actually to to uniformize the tools and apperance for
booting an installer regardless of the firlwre's kind, instead I have
cooked an USB installer that uses exclusively Syslinux 6.03 for BIOS and
UEFI booting:
http://slint.fr/testing/slint64-14.1_syslinux.6.03.img
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/%5Bann%5D-syslinux-6-03-has-been-released-4175521209/

Here is the tree: