[syslinux] Syslinux 6.03, kernel not relocatable.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sun Nov 16 22:21:31 PST 2014

On 16/11/2014 18:33, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have requested tests of this USB installer:
> http://slint.fr/testing/slint64-14.1_syslinux.6.03.img
> in both BIOS and UEFI modes.
>
> A test in UEFI mode:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/%5Bann%5D-syslinux-6-03-has-been-released-4175521209/#post5270515
>
> leaded to this message:
>
> "Cannot relocate kernel, bailing out"
>
> That leaded me to this post in the ML:
> http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux-commits/2013-July/002381.html
>
> The kernel in the image file being not relocatable. I'll replace it
> with one with
> CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=Y to confirm the issue.
With CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=Y (only change to the kernel) the installer
bow boots OK,
> But meanwhile, is there some  other thing I can do, like moving the
> kernel elsewhere in the image?
Stupid idea, of course. I should have dropped an eye on
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/x86/boot.txt
I hardly understand anything there, but i guess this has something
to do with the EFI handover protocol?

The sparse mentions of "relocatable" (about modules) are
also hardly understandable by me.

Anyway Slackware-current (or next, if you prefer) has
CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=Y so case closed, but maybe
some kind soul could give me an "explanation for
newbies"? In exchange I could propose (and maybe make,
after approval) some changes/additions in the wiki to help
newbies like me find their way (assuming that the target
audience is not "only knowledgeable people", of course).

Thanks for reading and best regards,
Didier