[syslinux] Syslinux 6.03, kernel not relocatable.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Mon Nov 17 00:55:27 PST 2014

On 17/11/2014 08:45, Ady wrote:

 > The Slackware Documentation Project wiki also mentions
 > "CONFIG_RELOCATABLE" in:

 > <http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:linux_kernel_options_f
 > or_uefi_and_elilo>

I've seen this page a while age (of course... I'm a Slackware user) and
now remember that I was a bit surprised because the kernel shipped
in DVD installers for Slackware64-14.1 can boot on UEFI.

By the way this is exactly same kernel that I shipped in the Slint
USB installer that failed, and also with in the hybrid ISO images
of the Slint installer, that ship an EFI bootloader built by Patrick
Volkerding with grub-mkimage.

So one more question: why can one boot with a GRUB EFI bootloader
but not with the SYSLINUX bootloader, using the same kernel?

More accurately, I know why: because of the aforementioned patch, but
then, why is this test needed in SYSLINUX only?

Best regards,
Didier