[syslinux] Syslinux 6.03, kernel not relocatable.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Nov 18 10:20:01 PST 2014

On 18/11/2014 18:55, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 12:55 AM, Didier Spaier wrote:
>> So one more question: why can one boot with a GRUB EFI bootloader
>> but not with the SYSLINUX bootloader, using the same kernel?
>>
>> More accurately, I know why: because of the aforementioned patch, but
>> then, why is this test needed in SYSLINUX only?
>>
> Because Grub boots the kernel in a "hostile" way (not using the stub.)
>
> 	-hpa

OK. Could you please provide pointers on documents explaining
(ideally in a way understandable by regular users of SYSLINUX):
_what are the inconveniences, risks, ... of booting the "hostile way"
_why you made a different choice in SYSLINUX

Also, is that situation going to change in a foreseeable feature?

Thanks for your time,

Didier