[syslinux] Sysylinux-6.03 freezes at Loading kernel..., works smooth with 4.06 via SD-CARD

Michael Kasprowicz booomerangg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 02:13:01 PST 2014

Hi,
First of all thank you so much for your prompt suggestions/help. I really
appreciate this.
Here is the syslinux.cfg which works perfect with syslinux-4.06
----
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 50
SERIAL 0

DEFAULT mylabel
LABEL mylabel

KERNEL vmlinuz0
APPEND initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait rootfstype=ext3
console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600
----

To further round off the error possibilities I used the same configuration
as above with syslinux-6.03 but with USB, initially i got the system
hanging at Probing EDD, but after using 'edd=off' in the APPEND line I was
successfully able to boot my kernel/initrd with syslinux-6.03 using a USB.

So, lets assume my BIOS does not support EDD, but because it worked with
USB (edd=off) so I assume one of the changes like (EDD,  the __intcall()
16-bit interrupt mechanism has been replaced with direct function
calls(32-bit) using ELF object support, memset() calls are added prior to
intcall()) is responsible for not loading the kernel properly into the
memory, PLEASE note, if I land into the boot prompt and call initrd first,
that gets loaded successfully, I get the OK... so everything here is OK
with my hardware and IRQ assigment as well, the system however hangs when I
call linux-kernel.

I have tried most of the suggestions you offered above already, no success.
Even tried different kernels, but they all get stuck while loading.

Now I want to use the debug.c32 and sysdump.c32 so that I could somehow
debug and figure out where exactly the problem occurs. Please provide me
with some examples of how could I use the both.

Calling
COM32 sysdump.c32 ymodem 0 9600
before the 'KERNEL vmlinuz0 ' or after??? could you please show an example?
also on minicom ymodem reception I only receive headers NO files. why so?

Using debug.c32 like below in a syslinux.cfg is OK?, but then where do I
call the kernel? right below or in a separate label? where do I get the
error messages?
DEFAULT dbg
 LABEL dbg
   COM32 debug.c32
   APPEND bios_boot_linux free

please provide some examples if possible if my above shown syslinux.cfg
file. ?

Please advise other possible debugging methods.

best regards.