[syslinux] [RFC] make extlinux work without mount the filesystem

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 00:22:15 PST 2014

 (snip)

> It probably makes more sense in
> the "syslinux" installer rather than "extlinux", since the former
> already operates on an unmounted filesystem.

In other words, the Linux-based "syslinux" installers could / would
support ext2/3/4 too.

In particular, the (./bios/mtools/) "syslinux" command does not need
special permissions (other than write), but it needs "something" else
instead (e.g. "mtools" for FAT), and it can use the "--offset"
parameter.

This could mean, to either:
_ modify the current installers; or,
_ add a new (./bios/mke2/) {sys,ext}linux installer (the path and file
name could be something else; I am focusing on the generic idea).

Regards,
Ady.