[syslinux] Windows PE booting without chainloading ipxe

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Nov 25 02:48:57 PST 2014

Luke Ledgerd <luke.ledgerd at niteco.se> writes:

> I just thought I'd let you know that it would be great if you
> developers could add an INITRDFILE option to the syslinux config that
> loads raw initrd disks the ipxe way, without appending stuff to the
> kernel boot argument. That way an unpatched wimboot from ipxe could be
> made to work.

You get independent control of the initrd and the command line though
the boot_it() Lua function:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Lua.c32

Unfortunately, 6.03, the latest released Syslinux version has some bugs
in that area, though it may still work just well enough for your
purposes.  Recently I reworked that interface and fixed some bugs, you
may want to test that if you're up to compiling Syslinux yourself; see
https://github.com/wferi/syslinux/blob/pub/com32/lua/doc/syslinux.asc
--
Feri.