[syslinux] Sysylinux-6.03 freezes at Loading kernel..., works smooth with 4.06 via SD-CARD

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 06:35:17 PST 2014

> Hi,
> In the Bios folder inside mbr, there are different types of mbr_c.bin
> mbr_f.bin as well as mbr.bin, is there a description available which tells
> which mbr is to be used in which case? please point me to the description
> or kindly explain.
>
> while installing syslinux on my device (usb, sd-card) i can use the
> arguments '-H' and '-S' to specify heads and sectors, these should be the
> values which i get from my USB/SD-card ?
> What should happen if I do not specify these values?
>

> Thanks in advance.

FWIW, it takes less than a minute in a web search to find:
 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Mbr

Alternatively, you could see the table at:
 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Isohybrid#MBR_selection

Regarding the (optional) -H -S (both uppercase) parameters, the info is
also in the wiki and in the Syslinux official archives (e.g.
./bios/txt/html/syslinux.html).

Unfortunately, not all the documentation is fully up-to-date (not even
in some of the html docs).

Example:
 --heads=# -H Force number of heads

Regards,