[syslinux] pxelinux efi64 boot woes on hyper-v gen 2

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 19:40:37 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Luke Ledgerd <luke.ledgerd at niteco.se> wrote:
> Gene,
>
> As it happened I started working on this again just as you mailed me.

I saw it in IRC.

> It appears that PXE-E99 may also be related to MTFTP part of the PXE spec. IBM also says it has something to do with jumbo frames. I tried setting PXE.mtcp-ip to 0.0.0.0 to disable it but still no joy.
>
> The bootfile size shows up as zero because that relates to "option boot-size" in dhcp and doesn't seem to be the problem

I've never set this.

> I've already fired up wireshark and had a look, and the tftp was the nas, so I'll move it over to the linux box to get the traffic. The ideas I have now to fix is to try setting up atftp to do multicast tftp.

I've honestly never done MTFTP at all.

> "option bootfile-name" only freaks out the rom and adds extra characters at the end.
>
> If I have option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient"; before
> Vendor-option-space PXE;
> Option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0
>
> It freaks out the rom and it says no offer found. It's not just hyper-v I'm testing with a bare-metal system too.
> My original configuration file started as the same on from dbrl-clonezilla-server but it's changed a bit now.

How does it differ?  Any way you could email it (inline or attached;
even if IP/domain sanitized to something neutral like an RFC1918 IP or
test-net like 192.0.2.0/24).

> Do some PXE roms require MTFTP to boot in EFI mode?

I've never seen one.

I'd suggest starting with a simpler setup.

--
-Gene