[syslinux] pxelinux efi64 boot woes on hyper-v gen 2

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 27 23:50:55 PST 2014

> if option arch = 00:00 {
>     filename "pxelinux.0";
>     option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/bios";
> } else if option arch = 00:06 {
>     filename "bootia32.efi";
>     #option bootfile-name "bootia32.efi";
>     option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/efi32";
> } else if option arch = 00:07 {
>     filename "bootx64.efi";
>     #option bootfile-name "bootx64.efi";
>     filename "bootx64.efi";
>     #option boot-size 391;
>     option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/efi64";
>     option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient:Arch:00007:UNDI:003016";
> } else if option arch = 00:09 {
>     filename "bootx64.efi";
>     #option bootfile-name "bootx64.efi";
>     #option boot-size 391;
>     option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/efi64";
>     option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient:Arch:00007:UNDI:003016";
> } else {
>     filename "pxelinux.0";
>     option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/bios";
> }
Q: Why is Top-posting such a bad thing?

I apologize in advance for the potentially-dumb comments/questions.

_ Do you really need the Vendor Class Identifier option included in the
"if option arch" conditions?

_ Do you really need the Vendor Class Identifier option at all?

_ If you use Vendor Class Identifier, can you (or, are you allowed to)
simultaneously choose a (boot)filename for each Client System
Architecture Type?

_ If you use Client System Architecture, can you (or, are you allowed
to) simultaneously choose a (boot)filename for each Vendor Class
Identifier?

_ The "pxelinux.configfile" arguments are pointing to specific
directories, not to files. Is this correct? Could this be some kind of
mix-up between "pxelinux.configfile" and "pxelinux.pathprefix" (options
209 and 210, respectively)?

_ In "option arch = 00:09", there is a "PXEClient:Arch:00007"
statement. Isn't this some kind of arch conflict?

_ Is the "else if" syntax correct in your particular dhcp tool(s) /
case? For example, perhaps you actually need "elsif"?

Regards,
Ady.