[syslinux] pxelinux efi64 boot woes on hyper-v gen 2

Luke Ledgerd luke.ledgerd at niteco.se
Fri Nov 28 00:17:14 PST 2014

<snip >

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text, especially the archives of mailing lists.
Q: Why is Top-posting such a bad thing?

I apologize in advance for the potentially-dumb comments/questions.

_ Do you really need the Vendor Class Identifier option included in the
"if option arch" conditions?

_ Do you really need the Vendor Class Identifier option at all?

It makes it play better with other devices that also use DHCP option 43, or something like that.

Nope, I got desperate troubleshooting and searching the web for other solutions.
Others were using just "PXEClient" which may have worked with legacy boot but not EFI.

_ If you use Vendor Class Identifier, can you (or, are you allowed to)
simultaneously choose a (boot)filename for each Client System
Architecture Type?

_ If you use Client System Architecture, can you (or, are you allowed
to) simultaneously choose a (boot)filename for each Vendor Class
Identifier?

_ The "pxelinux.configfile" arguments are pointing to specific
directories, not to files. Is this correct? Could this be some kind of
mix-up between "pxelinux.configfile" and "pxelinux.pathprefix" (options
209 and 210, respectively)?

Hey this is how debian is doing it according to their Bugzilla, and I got my configuration file originally from clonezilla's DBRL project.

_ In "option arch = 00:09", there is a "PXEClient:Arch:00007"
statement. Isn't this some kind of arch conflict?
Yeah but we aren't using 00:09 yet, but I guess we will later.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4578

_ Is the "else if" syntax correct in your particular dhcp tool(s) /
case? For example, perhaps you actually need "elsif"?

It works. ISC DHCP 3.1 I think.

Look I think the problem and why the basic configuration doesn't work is we have one TFTP server (NAS), one DHCP Server for PXE (Linux), and two other DHCP severs. The PXEClient tells the boot rom to ignore other DHCP requests.

I'm just going to get WDS/System Centre taking over the first stage of the boot and if I have to work backwards in Wireshark to find out what was going wrong here, should I want syslinux EFI to start up first at a later time. WDSLinux will have to suffice in the interim. Does it have support for EFI, probably not it's a 16 bit dos style com file right?

Regards,
Ady.

Unsubscribe or set options at: