[syslinux] pxelinux efi64 boot woes on hyper-v gen 2

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 02:26:42 PST 2014

> <snip >
>

> Nope, I got desperate troubleshooting and searching the web for other
> solutions.
> Others were using just "PXEClient" which may have worked with legacy
> boot but not EFI.
>
> > _ If you use Vendor Class Identifier, can you (or, are you allowed
> > to) simultaneously choose a (boot)filename for each Client System
> > Architecture Type?
> >
> > _ If you use Client System Architecture, can you (or, are you
> > allowed to) simultaneously choose a (boot)filename for each Vendor
> > Class Identifier?
> >
> > _ The "pxelinux.configfile" arguments are pointing to specific
> > directories, not to files. Is this correct? Could this be some kind
> > of mix-up between "pxelinux.configfile" and "pxelinux.pathprefix"
> > (options 209 and 210, respectively)?
>
> Hey this is how debian is doing it according to their Bugzilla, and I
> got my configuration file originally from clonezilla's DBRL project.
>

> > _ In "option arch = 00:09", there is a "PXEClient:Arch:00007"
> > statement. Isn't this some kind of arch conflict?
> Yeah but we aren't using 00:09 yet, but I guess we will later.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4578
>
> > _ Is the "else if" syntax correct in your particular dhcp tool(s) /
> > case? For example, perhaps you actually need "elsif"?
>
> It works. ISC DHCP 3.1 I think.
>
> Look I think the problem and why the basic configuration doesn't work
> is we have one TFTP server (NAS), one DHCP Server for PXE (Linux),
> and two other DHCP severs. The PXEClient tells the boot rom to ignore
> other DHCP requests.
>
> I'm just going to get WDS/System Centre taking over the first stage
> of the boot and if I have to work backwards in Wireshark to find out
> what was going wrong here, should I want syslinux EFI to start up
> first at a later time. WDSLinux will have to suffice in the interim.
> Does it have support for EFI, probably not it's a 16 bit dos style
> com file right?
>
> > Regards,
> > Ady.

You seem to be taking (copy$paste) parts and pieces from different
resources.

You also seem to be assuming that all those resources are somewhat
officially confirmed (proved) to be working, both individually and
mixed together.

Additionally, this email thread is getting slightly harder to read and
to follow.

FWIW, a (closed) bug report in Debian doesn't mean Debian officially
accepted / adopted it as a generic working solution. Also, the fact
that one user managed to make it work doesn't mean that the posted
information is accurate.

AFAIK, not only that Debian has not published any official information
about dhcp configuration with syslinux.efi, but also there is no such
official documentation about Debian and network-booting UEFI clients
(whether with syslinux.efi or with any other UEFI bootloader), and the
same goes to Debian derivatives that follow Debian closely (this does
not include Ubuntu).

AFAIK, at this time you will find no distro / project with official
documentation about network-booting syslinux.efi; certainly no official
dhcp configuration mixing {l,}pxelinux.0 with syslinux.efi.

As for the "arch 9 vs. arch 7" conflict, my comment was not in regard
to the (conflicting) documentation. I mean it regarding your own
conditional. You are starting with "if arch = 9" and then you react
with a VCI stating that "arch = 7"; it doesn't make sense to me.

Regarding the "ISC DHCP 3.1" syntax, you "think" it works?

I would suggest simplifying your dhcp config and your network setup.
Once the basic UEFI case(s) are working, you could then add complexity.

I would also suggest searching for official documentation (e.g. about
ISC DHCP 3.1 syntax, commands, config...), instead of almost-randomly
copy&pasting from different resources that are not proven-to-work
(specially when they are mixed altogether in a soup).

Perhaps someone else in this Syslinux Mailing List might be so kind and
post some dhcp config for UEFI clients that are known / proved to be
working.

Regards,
Ady.