[syslinux] ivy bridge and custom font

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 00:57:32 PDT 2014

> Hello,
>
> I've encountered a strange problem with loading a font file.
> The environment:
> motherboard GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3, processor i7-3770, onboard graphics,
> extlinux 5.01.
>
> After loading any font I get a mess on a screen. The only rule I could
> discover is that: characters with odd code are not displayed at all,
> and for characters with even code there is taken a bitmap from position
>   ord(character) / 2.
>
> However, there is neither problem with the builtin font nor console fonts
> loaded undre system control (Linux).
>

> Could you help me to fix the problem?
>
> P.O.

This one is tricky.

There are revisions of such mainboard with BIOS firmware, and others
with UEFI firmware. Updating to the "latest" firmware is frequently
suggested, but in this case the procedure might not be
straightforward, nor the selection of which version of firmware is
the most appropriate. Add beta version(s) of firmware updates...

Booting in UEFI mode could also have some screen-resolution issues
that might affect what you see on screen.

Anyway, I would suggest either testing with Syslinux (extlinux) 4.xx
or with 6.03. Forget about 5.xx.

Please remember that official distribution archives for version 6.xx
include the binary files under respective "bios/", "efi32/" and
"efi64/" directories.

Regards,
Ady.