[syslinux] System freezes

Bernd Eggink monoped at sudrala.de
Sun Oct 26 10:00:23 PDT 2014

Hi,

when I try to boot my notebook from a USB disc, the system freezes
completely. After displaying the text (or menu), it doesn't react to any
key, even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. The config is pretty simple:

SAY Booting Linux from USB...
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
DEFAULT Vaio
PROMPT 1

LABEL Black
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
vga=0x307 HOST=Black

LABEL Vaio
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
vga=0x305 HOST=Vaio

With "PROMPT 0", it boots without problems.

As the same configuration works well with my PC, I guess it has
something to do with the BIOS. The notebook is a Vaio VGN-Z21VN, approx.
6 years old.
Any ideas?

Regards,
Bernd