[syslinux] System freezes

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 26 09:08:47 PDT 2014

> Hi,
>
> when I try to boot my notebook from a USB disc, the system freezes
> completely. After displaying the text (or menu), it doesn't react to any
> key, even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. The config is pretty simple:

> SAY Booting Linux from USB...
> KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
> DEFAULT Vaio
> PROMPT 1
>
> LABEL Black
>     KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
>     APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
> vga=0x307 HOST=Black
>
> LABEL Vaio
>     KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
>     APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
> vga=0x305 HOST=Vaio
>
> With "PROMPT 0", it boots without problems.
>
> As the same configuration works well with my PC, I guess it has
> something to do with the BIOS. The notebook is a Vaio VGN-Z21VN, approx.
> 6 years old.
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

The first KERNEL directive in your cfg (the one under the SAY
directive) should be deleted (or at least comment it out with "#"):

 SAY Booting Linux from USB...
 # KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
 DEFAULT Vaio
 PROMPT 1

 LABEL Black
 KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
 APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
vga=0x307 HOST=Black

 LABEL Vaio
 KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
 APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
vga=0x305 HOST=Vaio

When using "PROMPT 1", you should see the "boot:" prompt. Pressing
[Enter], should boot the "Vaio" label.

When using "PROMPT 0", the "Vaio" label should boot immediately.

Additionally, generally speaking I would suggest not to mix
upper-case with lower-case labels (e.g. "LABEL vaio", instead of
"Vaio").

Regards,
Ady.