[syslinux] System freezes

Bernd Eggink monoped at sudrala.de
Sun Oct 26 12:58:05 PDT 2014

On 26.10.2014 17:08, Ady wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> when I try to boot my notebook from a USB disc, the system freezes
>> completely. After displaying the text (or menu), it doesn't react to any
>> key, even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. The config is pretty simple:

>> SAY Booting Linux from USB...
>> KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
>> DEFAULT Vaio
>> PROMPT 1
>>
>> LABEL Black
>>      KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
>>      APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
>> vga=0x307 HOST=Black
>>
>> LABEL Vaio
>>      KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
>>      APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
>> vga=0x305 HOST=Vaio
>>
>> With "PROMPT 0", it boots without problems.
>>
>> As the same configuration works well with my PC, I guess it has
>> something to do with the BIOS. The notebook is a Vaio VGN-Z21VN, approx.
>> 6 years old.
>> Any ideas?
>
> The first KERNEL directive in your cfg (the one under the SAY
> directive) should be deleted (or at least comment it out with "#"):

OK, it doesn't make much sense there, but I don't think it can cause the
system to hang. And actually commenting it out didn't change anything.

> When using "PROMPT 1", you should see the "boot:" prompt.

Yes I see the prompt (as I did before).

> Pressing [Enter], should boot the "Vaio" label.

I know it _should_ boot, but it _doesn't_, that's the problem. At this
point, the only thing I can do is a hard reset.

Bernd

--
http://sudrala.de