[syslinux] System freezes

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 26 13:34:09 PDT 2014

> On 26.10.2014 17:08, Ady wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> when I try to boot my notebook from a USB disc, the system freezes
> >> completely. After displaying the text (or menu), it doesn't react to any
> >> key, even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. The config is pretty simple:
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------------
> >> SAY Booting Linux from USB...
> >> KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
> >> DEFAULT Vaio
> >> PROMPT 1
> >>
> >> LABEL Black
> >>      KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
> >>      APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
> >> vga=0x307 HOST=Black
> >>
> >> LABEL Vaio
> >>      KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
> >>      APPEND ro initrd=/boot/initramfs console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0
> >> vga=0x305 HOST=Vaio
> >> -------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> With "PROMPT 0", it boots without problems.
> >>
> >> As the same configuration works well with my PC, I guess it has
> >> something to do with the BIOS. The notebook is a Vaio VGN-Z21VN, approx.
> >> 6 years old.
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > The first KERNEL directive in your cfg (the one under the SAY
> > directive) should be deleted (or at least comment it out with "#"):
>
> OK, it doesn't make much sense there, but I don't think it can cause the
> system to hang. And actually commenting it out didn't change anything.
>
> > When using "PROMPT 1", you should see the "boot:" prompt.
>
> Yes I see the prompt (as I did before).
>
> > Pressing [Enter], should boot the "Vaio" label.
>
> I know it _should_ boot, but it _doesn't_, that's the problem. At this
> point, the only thing I can do is a hard reset.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something from your report.

Are you saying that using the exact same USB drive, plugged into the
exact same USB port of the exact same hardware, you are able to boot
the exact same boot entry (label) when using "prompt 0" but it fails
when using "prompt 1" and typing in the same label in the boot
prompt?

Have you tried other kernels (e.g. memtest)?

How much time have you waited before you pressed additional keys?
Booting from USB can take longer than expected.

Which version of Syslinux are you using in your USB drive? Is it
using official pre-built binaries from kernel.org?

Have you posted the complete content of your syslinux.cfg?

Regards,
Ady.