[syslinux] System freezes

Bernd Eggink monoped at sudrala.de
Mon Oct 27 02:11:44 PDT 2014

On 26.10.2014 21:34, Ady wrote:

> Are you saying that using the exact same USB drive, plugged into the
> exact same USB port of the exact same hardware, you are able to boot
> the exact same boot entry (label) when using "prompt 0" but it fails
> when using "prompt 1" and typing in the same label in the boot
> prompt?

Yes, exactly. Except that whatever I type isn't echoed on
the screen and has no effect.

> Have you tried other kernels (e.g. memtest)?

I don't think it has to do with the kernel, as the same kernel boots
immediately with "prompt 0".

> Which version of Syslinux are you using in your USB drive? Is it
> using official pre-built binaries from kernel.org?

Ahhh - that's the point, thanks for asking. Should have checked the
version first. I'm running Crux, a source-based distro, where Syslinux
is still 5.10. A first try to compile 6.03 didn't succeed (see below),
but the precompiled 6.03 binaries worked out of the box, and everything
is fine now.

Here is the tail of the 'make' output, in case somebody cares:
ranlib liblpxelinux.a
nasm -f elf -Ox  -g -F dwarf -DDATE_STR="''" \
        -DHEXDATE="0x544e07ea" \
        -Di386 \
        -I/usr/ports/monoped/syslinux/syslinux-6.03/core/ \
        -l ldlinux.lsr -o ldlinux.o -MP -MD ./.ldlinux.o.d
/usr/ports/monoped/syslinux/syslinux-6.03/core/ldlinux.asm
diskstart.inc:438: error: symbol references not supported in
preprocess-only mode
diskstart.inc:438: error: non-constant value given to `%if'
diskstart.inc:439: error: symbol references not supported in
preprocess-only mode
diskstart.inc:439: error: non-constant value given to `%assign'
/usr/ports/monoped/syslinux/syslinux-6.03/core/ldlinux.asm:26: fatal:
unable to open include file `head.inc'
/usr/ports/monoped/syslinux/syslinux-6.03/core/Makefile:156: recipe for
target 'ldlinux.o' failed