[syslinux] keystrokes

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 6 08:15:41 PDT 2014

> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Syslinux Team,
> >
> > What actions are _supposed_ to be triggered by each of:
> >
> >   [Ctrl-J]
> >   [Ctrl-M]
> >
> > in the Syslinux command line in version 6.03-pre20?
>
> They should do nothing special but either might be interpreted like an <enter>.

Well, for a common user, "nothing special" doesn't seem exactly the
same as "<enter>".

I had already seen [Ctrl+J] being the same as [Enter] in "cli.c", but
I couldn't find the meaning (or intention of) [Ctrl+M].

[Ctrl+M] _seems_ to be behaving as [Enter], but since it is not in
"cli.c", I decided to post here in the mailing list.

I have not seen [Ctrl+M] in "cli.c" (Have I missed it? Is it
elsewhere?), so I was expecting it to do nothing. But since it
_seems_ to act as [Enter] (or at least, it is doing "something", not
"nothing"), I would like to know what it is _supposed_ to be doing.

> > Are there any differences between CLI and [vesa]menu.c32 regarding
> > these keystroke combinations?
>
> (vesa)menu.c32 have a different CLI parser so I'd expect a possibility
> of a difference.
>
> > Are there any differences in their behaviors when booting with
> > different Syslinux variants (e.g ISOLINUX vs. SYSLINUX vs.
> > PXELINUX)?
>
> There shouldn't be.  However, I could see EFI architecture having an
> unintentional difference.

Is there some specific reason for such suspicion?

Do you already have such potential unintentional difference in mind?
Something specific?

> > To be clear, I am asking about what (in theory) *should* be
> > happening, (which might or might not be the same as to what actually
> > happens).
>
> --
> -Gene

TIA,