[syslinux] Arrow key feature request

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Sep 22 19:03:00 PDT 2014

Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> writes:

>>> In my opinion, this would be better addressed with a conditional
>>> directive than an outright change in current behavior.  Since it only
>>> affects (vesa)menu.c32, it should begin with "MENU ", perhaps "MENU
>>> ARROWKEY" (perhaps someone will think of another alternate behavior in
>>> the future).  It should also accept 1 optional parameter to turn it on
>>> or off.  When not present, it should turn the new behavior on.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Gene
>>

>> What exactly do you mean with "When not present, it should turn the
>> new behavior on"?
>
> When the _parameter_ is not present.

I just saw this and thought I should kibitz.

How about have a way to explicitly map keys to behaviors and just
default the keys to their current behavior.

The implementation would be an extra table lookup (no matter the
mapping) it gives power to accomodate everyone's peculiarites
and it should be very little additional code compared to today.
(Mostly the change would be parsing the configuration directives).

You can later get into grand fights over what the best default
behavior is but having it configurable will at allow room for
people to disagree.

Eric