[syslinux] UEFI PXE / split config / TFTP attempted to DHCP server, not TFTP server

Spike White spikewhitetx at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 20:22:15 PDT 2014

>Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:19:12 -0400
>From: Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com>
>To: Spike White <spikewhitetx at gmail.com>
>Cc: For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa <syslinux at zytor.com>
>Subject: Re: [syslinux] UEFI PXE / split config / TFTP attempted to
>        DHCP server, not TFTP server

>At least it's another datapoint for Dell.

>Check the packets.

Gene,

It was a Dell R710 UEFI PXE firmware bug!!

I tested today w/ a Dell R620.  Behaved exactly as expected.

  w/ DHCP option 43 == 'PXEClient', does the:
     D-O-R-A to DHCP server, then
     (proxyDHCP) R - (proxyDHCP) A - TFTP to the TFTP server

  w/o option 43 set, does:
     D-O-R-A to DHCP server, then
     TFTP to the TFTP server

I spent 3-4 days trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.  Nothing!
It was a firmware bug.

Thanks for explaining to me that old-school DHCP/TFTP split.  Hopefully,
I'll
never use it.  (I see no value w/ modern PXE-capable DHCP servers -- it
just overly-complicates things).

But at least I'll understand it when a boot client starts doing it.

Spike