[syslinux] Determine from which device syslinux booted from

Renato renatoriolino at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 09:16:06 PDT 2014

Hi,

Is it possible to know (and pass it as a kernel argument) from which device
syslinux booted from?

My case is:

I have a USB stick with a custom linux installation. Syslinux boots from
it, load kernel and initrd. My initrd scans all blocks devices looking for
a valid root device and use it when it is found.

The problem is that sometimes I have another USB stick on the same computer
wich has too a valid root device, but I don't want to boot from it, I want
to boot from the root device of the USB stick used to boot.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks