[syslinux] syslimux with interrupts

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 03:00:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Wissam Shoukair <wissams at mellanox.com> wrote:
> Hi Gene,
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Im using pxelinux4.07. pxelinux.0
> I didn’t find any lpxelinux.0 in this version

Correct.

> I will try lpxelinux.0 from Syslinux6.03-pre20.
> Is there lpxelinux.0 in versions earlier than Syslinux5.10?

5.10 is the first full release with lpxelinux.0

pxelinux.0 will use PXE/iPXE/gPXE API calls to obtain a file.  In your
case, this means that if iPXE needs to use interrupts to use your
driver but is not, it's an iPXE issue.

lpxelinux.0 will use UNDI calls to send/receive Ethernet frames.  It
will examine if the interrupts are reported to work and attempt to use
them.  If it feels the interrupts go dead/deaf, it will assume
interrupts are partially broken and switch to polling mode.  This
behavior is a result of numerous systems that report interrupts work,
function for about 3 seconds then never send another interrupt to
indicate anything has been received.

lpxelinux.0 before 6.03-pre20 has a known issue with iPXE (and
possibly gPXE) that manifests itself on some but not all systems.

--
-Gene