[syslinux] USB pendrive with IsoHybrid don't boot on MacBook Pro (EFI)

piranna at gmail.com piranna at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 13:04:26 PDT 2015

I'm developing my own Linux-kernel OS
(https://github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS) and I have been able to build a
live ISO using IsoHybrid. Point is, it doesn't work on my MacBook Pro
(Quad-core, 2.66GHz, 8GB), only on BIOS-based PCs. rEFInd show a new
"Legacy OS" entry for the pendrive, but after some seconds it shows
the "Not found Operating System -- Insert boot disk and press any key"
message.

After that, I've tried with making the IsoHybrid EFI capable. I've
followed the instructions at
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Isohybrid#UEFI and rEFInd show
both the "Legacy OS" entry and another one for EFI. This last one goes
to SysLinux and load the kernel and the initramfs, but after that it
does nothing. What could I be doing wrong?

If it's of info, I'm using SysLinux 6.03 from the Ubuntu Mate 15.04
packages and the syslinux.cfg config file. I have a plain filesystem
structure both on the ISO partition and the EFI image, and they both
have the same Linux kernel and initramfs images:

[piranna en Mabuk:~/Proyectos/NodeOS/node_modules/nodeos-rootfs]
(master) > tree obj/
obj/
├── i686
│   ├── efiboot.img
│   ├── initram.gz
│   ├── isolinux.bin
│   ├── kernel.img
│   ├── ldlinux.c32
│   └── syslinux.cfg
└── nocona
    ├── efiboot.img
    ├── initram.gz
    ├── isolinux.bin
    ├── kernel.img
    ├── ldlinux.c32
    └── syslinux.cfg

[piranna en Mabuk:~/Proyectos/NodeOS/node_modules/nodeos-rootfs]
 (master) > tree efiboot
efiboot
├── initram.gz
├── kernel.img
├── ldlinux.e32
├── syslinux.cfg
└── syslinux.efi

Unix."
– Linus Tordvals, creador del sistema operativo Linux