[syslinux] Is efiboot.img required?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Apr 5 11:12:33 PDT 2015

Hi,

piranna at gmail.com wrote:
> That's just what I did :-) Didn't though about any other alternative...

I only get to see what my users and other ISO producers
do. Normally the ESP is just a launchpad to hop on the
old tracks of BIOS booting.

But the requirement for a fat ESP is known. E.g.
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux#UEFI_Systems
says
"For syslinux, kernel and initramfs files need to be
 in the ESP, as syslinux does not (currently) have the
 ability to access files outside its own partition
 (i.e. outside ESP in this case)."

But why does your Linux not start from isohybrid ESP ?
Do you have a clue where it fails or gets stuck ?

> > /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

> Should I rename syslinux.efi to that one?

It would be worth a try.

I have few clue of the boot loaders. My program packs
up the files in an ISO 9660 filesystem and installs the
pointers to the first boot stage of the various boot
images. Ignorance is the precondition of neutrality.

It seems that in the usual SYSLINUX EFI recipies and wikis,
the run of efibootmgr(8) is the decisive step which makes
syslinux.efi the file to boot. (Just google "syslinux.efi")
This cannot be applied to the image file but only to the
boot firmware of the target computer.
So one probably should use the default name for a live
system.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas