[syslinux] Is efiboot.img required?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Apr 5 12:29:04 PDT 2015

Hi,

> Apple started usinf EFI when it switched to Intel x86 CPUs,

But there must be an intermediate state when already
x86 code was understood by the CPUs but HFS or HFS+
was still mandatory for booting.
It's not only Fedora-LiveCD.iso which has HFS+, but also
grub-mkrescue can ask for HFS+ by xorriso. (Vladimir
Serbinenko contributed the HFS+ code but was not very
clear about the intended audience.)

> Maybe I could deprecate the CDs at all and
> publish only "native" USB disk images instead, isn't it?

Your decision.
(I don't think optical media are dead.)

> so yes, syslinux.efi gets executed,

This means that the firmware knows the name or searches
for any .efi file to start.
Both situations do not appear healthy. (Maybe i am mislead.)

Does efibootmgr or efivar -l report anything about
the USB stick ?
Does /sys/firmware/efi/vars or /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
exist and tell anything that might be related ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas