[syslinux] Is efiboot.img required?

piranna at gmail.com piranna at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 02:03:00 PDT 2015

>> 6. Renamed back /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi to /EFI/boot/syslinux.efi, just
>> to be sure. The "Default fallback loader on 32 MiB device" entry has
>> changed to "Syslinux on 32 MiB device".
>
> How the hell does it know that it is "Syslinux" ?
> The same file content does not cause that name if it
> is presented under the default name.
> Does EFI just guess "Syslinux" from "syslinux.efi" ?

Maybe EFI, but I think it's rEFInd, it has other heuristics involved
to OS detection to show the good OS name and an icon for them, you
have some info and screenshots at http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

>> 4. The syslinux.efi executable is searched on the EFI partition, at
>> least from /EFI/boot to /EFI to / the same way that happens with the
>> syslinux.cfg file (that it was always on the root folder of the
>> partition).
>
> I really cannot read this behavior from UEFI 2.4 specs.
> There may be a NVRAM variable which tells the file path,
> or there may be the fallback names which are to be used
> on removable media or in case that the path in the variable
> is empty.

Maybe it's because it's the only one .efi file?

Unix."
– Linus Tordvals, creador del sistema operativo Linux