[syslinux] Is efiboot.img required?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Apr 6 02:30:44 PDT 2015

Hi,

piranna at gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe EFI, but I think it's rEFInd,
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Oh, a man in the middle with extra brains. This explains a lot.
>From what storage device does it boot ? (From hard disk ?)
Will it be present with the production images ?

> > I really cannot read this behavior from UEFI 2.4 specs.
> Maybe it's because it's the only one .efi file?

It's because i thought that EFI firmware would be the one
which finds syslinux.efi.
Of course rEFInd can follow its own rules and offer own
capabilities.

The discussion wandered out of my scope as ISO producer.

I am still interested in improving the isohybrid wiki
and will watch for pointers to descriptions of the FAT
production process (with GRUB/GRUB2 if not with SYSLINUX).

If no such descriptions appear within the next weeks,
then i plan to state in
  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Isohybrid#UEFI

"The SYSLINUX project cannot yet provide a FAT filesystem
 image which would work with the isohybrid feature.
 Known isohybrid ISOs for UEFI employ FAT images which
 contain software from bootloader projects GRUB or GRUB2.
 This software boots by own non-SYSLINUX configurations."

It would be nice, of course, if the statement could present
SYSLINUX UEFI isohybrid as being more autonomous.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas