[syslinux] Isohybrid wiki page

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Apr 6 12:58:13 PDT 2015

Hi,

Ady wrote:
>  Hmm, but dd'ing isohybrid images is so simple...!
>    You have the freedom to waste your time.

But dd-ing is the reason why isohybrid exists.

Matthew Garrett extended the BIOS hard disk use case
to UEFI in 2011 and 2012. hpa signed it off and committed
it. See
  http://git.kernel.org/cgit/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/commit/utils/isohybrid.c?id=2c3a24e5f4b807ec31595227afa59a818c060ca9
  http://git.kernel.org/cgit/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/commit/utils/isohybrid.c?id=ead636d9693089bc54f1272552ae50b70d3f3965

Matthew's Fedora-LiveCD.iso of that time used GRUB 0.97
in the ESP FAT image. I am quite sure that hpa and he
would have used SYSLINUX instead if this had been possible.

It is time to face the facts.
What cannot be dd-ed to the base device is no isohybrid.
So a wiki article about isohybrid must honestly state that
UEFI isohybrid currently needs GRUB/GRUB2 (or a developer
who fills the gap in SYSLINUX).

Further one should probably state in the ISOLINUX wiki
that there is no UEFI support for ISOs. No need to
mention the competitors there. After all there is no
ISOLINUX option for UEFI, other than with isohybrid.c.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas