[syslinux] PXE and Variables ..

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 21 02:09:31 PDT 2015

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for your time having a quick look at this ..
>
> I am trying to produce a standard PXE menu to go around various offices,
> currently i have just given every PXE server the same name on the local
> domain,
> pxeserver.london pxeserver.new-york etc etc  however I would prefer to do
> this by either deriving it from the local $hostname value or by reading a
> configuration file.
>
> so for example this line :
>
> append  initrd=centos/initrd.img method=http://<<some_variable>>/distro
> ks=http://<<some_variable>>/kickstart/test.cfg devfs=nomount ip=dhcp
>
> the kickstart and the distros are on the local pxe server as well ..
>
> Is the only way to have a different file for each location ?? I have
> goggled the hell out of this and found no solutions.. perhaps i am goggle
> blind ..
>
> ~// Bob

I think you might be interested in:
 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Filename_syntax

Note the usage of "::".

In the same PXELINUX wiki page, other sections of (potential) relevance
might be:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Working_directory
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Hardcoded_options

Perhaps some scripting regarding tfptp/dhcp options might help(?).

Generally speaking, as of v.6.03 there is no support for "variables" in
the Syslinux configuration syntax. In some cases, using cmd.c32 [1]
with some INCLUDE directive(s) might help as a workaround.

[1]: http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/cmd.c32

Regards,
Ady.